What could come as a surprise for many, the MICE industry can truly pack a punch – and you can already guess that it has nothing to do with tiny, fuzzy rodents. These events are serious business in the UK and Europe as a whole. Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the globe fly in for MICE events, and, more often than not, comfortable group charter flights are one of the key parts of the formula for a successful event.
If it’s your first time getting into MICE events or you simply want to learn more, this is the best place to start!
MICE means meetings, and
The acronym ‘MICE’ itself stands for rather a mouthful – Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Exhibitions, encompassing a number of different types of gatherings. It’s also an integral part of the international tourism industry, though often left unnoticed.
The MICE industry is so massive and brings in serious value to all participating, that cities, regions, and countries all over the world are competing to be the ones to host a major global MICE event.
The spectrum of MICE events ranges from academic summits, industry exhibitions, conferences, meetings, and symposiums to trade fairs, product launches, and more. These events bring together large numbers of people from a single company or the whole industry, depending on the type of event, under one roof. The number of attendees involved generates impressive sums of money for everyone involved, which makes the MICE event industry that much more competitive.
Let’s break down the types of MICE events
- Meetings – usually large groups gathering to share knowledge, news, and new ideas, or address key challenges and set goals for the organisation. Meetings, without doubt, are the building blocks of most large corporate structures. They are typically held in conference rooms at hotels or convention centres, and last for one day.
- Incentives – to put it more simply, these are travel rewards a company may provide for individual employees, groups, or partners, in return for an excellent professional performance. These rewards can include team-building events, a few days in a resort, hotel, or spa at a company’s expense.
- Conferences – essentially, the next level of meetings. Conferences are designed for a large corporate group gathering to share knowledge across several days. These types of events usually include key members of the organisation, as well as guest speakers and the general public.
- Exhibitions – one of the best sales platforms for companies to do launches, show achievements, make connections and attract new clients.
How big is the MICE industry really
You might be still left wondering, how big is the MICE industry really if, for many, the acronym doesn’t many or any bells. Fair point.
However, experts have estimated that the European MICE industry was valued at $405.4 billion (around £326.5 billion) in 2020 and is expected to dominate the market growth by garnering $626 billion (roughly £488.05 billion) by 2028 – the highest revenue contributor to the tourism industry.
Looking from a global perspective, Europe is dominating the global MICE market with a market share of a whopping 50% and is expected to keep this position all the way until 2030. Out of all the European countries, the UK and Germany take the top spots for being the biggest MICE markets in the continent.
So, the numbers don’t lie. MICE events are, undeniably, a massive part of the tourism industry focused on planning, booking, and facilitating a myriad of conferences, seminars, meetings, and other large- and small-scale events.
A good example of the scale a MICE event can have is conferences held by international associations, like the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Congress. Such events can attract anywhere between 20,000 to 50,000 participants for a three- to four-day-long programme. Even better if the event takes place in a location that is already well known for its leisure tourism and balmy climate – this year’s ESC Congress, for example, will take place in Barcelona, Spain, one of the most popular locations to visit in Europe.
All of these elements add up to what most MICE event attendees are expecting – even if they might not say it out loud. The organizers of these events have, too, noticed that attendees are showing a preference for adding leisure elements to the trips. The additional leisure experiences typically include time for culture, adventure, nature, or wellness tourism, which are big factors in attracting even more interest in the event.
TOP 3 MICE events in Europe a MICE pro can’t miss
Whether you’re just starting out as a MICE industry professional or have been in the industry for years, there are a few key events that you might want to check out to keep up-to-date with the industry.
Bea World Festival
An exciting twist on a MICE industry event. Held in Rome, Italy, the international festival for events and live communication definitely has a flavour of its own. One of the essential meeting places for networking opportunities, know-how and insights, the Bea World Festival also holds an annual award ceremony to acknowledge and reward the achievements of the MICE industry businesses and professionals.
Date: November 17-19, 2022
Place: Rome, Italy
Considered to be a crown jewel in the MICE industry by some, the annual IBTM World event sits at the top of the list for almost all who dabble in the MICE industry. Held in Barcelona around the end of the year, the event gathers major MICE industry names not only to network but also to showcase exciting new tech, gather insights about upcoming trends, and share experiences – a real treat!
Date: 29 November – 1 December, 2022
Place: Barcelona, Spain
This London-central MICE-focused event is very well known among UK-based event industry professionals. Founded in 1981, the Confex is the largest gathering of professionals working in both event and MICE industries in the United Kingdom. For two days, specialists, thought leaders, and buyers in the UK come together to network, share and gather insight about the events industry, and keep up with the latest trends.
Date: March 8-9, 2023
Place: ExCel London, UK
Getting to MICE events in comfort and style
For both MICE professionals going to MICE industry events and business travellers popping down to conferences, expos or trade fairs, reliable and comfortable transportation is a must. Many would agree – and you might even hear it said in an events industry conference – that such travel is best done, with a private group charter.
Private flights offer a range of great benefits and are growing in popularity at a noticeable pace. Here’s why:
- Time = money – the (somewhat of an) equation is absolutely right. For a number of business travellers, time is a precious commodity. Long security queues and congested airport terminals only eat up more time. The uncertainty of delayed or cancelled flights doesn’t add to the charm either. But private jet charters allow you to determine the entire itinerary and get you and your team directly to where you need to be – no frustrations.
- Cutting costs – sending 40 executives to an international event is a costly business. Premium airline tickets, private cars to and from an airport, hotel rooms, meals – all of it adds additional zeros to the final check. A private group charter does brush off a few hundred pounds in the long run, and on top of that, creates an exciting team synergy during the pre-MICE time, giving some time to relax, too.
- Flexible solution – during the times of delayed or changed (or even worse – cancelled) flights, having a flexible and reliable private jet hire company can be the right solution for an otherwise stress-inducing problem. A long-established private jet charter company will understand all of the ins and outs of the MICE industry and will undoubtfully offer the right solutions to suit your needs.
Private jets save the day
MICE event organisation is a tough job with many details to perfect and deadlines to hit so that the event is a complete success on all levels. That is why securing a trusted jet charter company can truly save the day. A charter hire company with an extensive experience under its belt will have the industry know-how and the right personnel to tackle all of the requests and details that might come your way. Long-established jet hire companies have the real understanding of what the MICE industry requires, and, in turn, have the support of an extensive network of reliable partners. Remember, a reliable partnership with a charter company can ensure meeting all the needs, and take a load off your shoulders.